Thursday, July 14, 2011

HP G62 Laptop Connecting to Sony Rear Video Projection TV

Hulu projected through the tv
So for several years now I've utilized an external monitor with my laptop.  This gave me the capability to stream movies or tv on one screen while working on the laptop simultaneously.  I recently acquired a large video project tv and wanted to connect my laptop to it to view my online content on a large screen. The problem was that my tv is too old and only has the three color (red, yellow, white) RCA plugs and S-Video.  My laptop only has HDMI and VGA.  So my options were to connect utilizing

TV-- RCA or S-Video
Laptop-- HDMI or VGA

Keep in mind, I use the VGA port to connect the laptop to the external monitor.  Thus, I went in search for the technology to accomplish it.  After research, fiddling with it, and spending time and money, I thought I had finally purchased the correct piece of technology- HDMI to Composite /S-Video Converter 3RCA CRT TV CVBS.  Then came the moment of truth, to see if it would work.  At first, it did not... I was trying to connect the box by utilizing the RCA cable and the HDMI cable, but it did not work.  So then, naturally, I tried the S-Video cable and the HDMI cable and it worked!  I had to mess with the zoom features on the tv to get the picture to fill the whole screen (it cuts off a bit at the top and bottom, but overall is great).

I then completed the system by connecting the red and white RCA sound cables to a little plug, which went in the headphone jack.  This allowed the tv to emit the sound and allowed the tv remote to control the volume.  Finally, I purchased a Rii Mini Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad (RT-MWK01), so I could sit on the couch several feet away from the computer.
Magic box

Back of the Sony tv

Sound cables

HDMI Cable, Mini Keyboard, S-Video Cable, and Converter Box 

HP Laptop Connected to Sony tv

Mini Keyboard

Demonstration Video

1 comment: